Cabbage is rich in vitamin K, vitamin C and vitamin B6 ,manganese, dietary fibre, potassium, vitamin B1, folate and copper. Cabbage is a source of phosphorus, vitamin B2, magnesium, calcium, iron, protein, niacin,pantothenic acid and selenium as well. It has a lot of health benefits and that is why you need to eat.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CABBAGE
Cabbage contains minerals such as potassium, calcium, phosphorous and magnesium. These minerals are very effective in protecting the bones. They strengthen the bones. Also, the minerals in cabbage help to prevent and fight against Osteoporosis.
Cabbage has anti-oxidant properties that help to fight against several diseases including cancer. These anti-oxidant properties help to inhibit the growth of free radicals. These free radicals are dangerous to the body and our health. They are a causative factor of cancer and some heart diseases. Additionally, cabbage has anti-cancerous properties.
Deficiency of vitamin C can result in this diseases(scurvy). Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamin C. The vitamin C contained in cabbage is richer as compared to orange. Intake of cabbage helps to prevent scurvy and many other vitamin C deficiency diseases.
Cabbage contains a good amount of beta-carotene. This beta-carotene in cabbage helps to delay the formation of cataract as aging takes place. Generally, cabbage has been proved to improve eye sight This helps to maintain the healthiness of the eye.
Cabbage contains a good amount of potassium. Potassium is a vasodilator, that is, it widens the blood vessels and eases the blood flow. This helps in reducing the risk of blood pressure. Cabbage is absolutely helpful in dealing with blood pressure issues.
SAUTEED CABBAGE RECIPE
- 1 small head white cabbage
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the cabbage in half.
- slice it as thinly as possible around the core.
- Discard the core.
- Melt the butter in a big heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the cabbage, salt, and pepper.
- Saute for 15 minutes.
- Stir from time to time until the cabbage gets soft and brownish.
- Serve warm.
- 1 lb bacon of finely chopped
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 2 lbs finely diced of cabbage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Fry bacon until crisp and well browned.
- Drain and set aside.
- Add chopped onion to the bacon grease and stir continuously until it is translucent.
- Add cabbage, pepper flakes, salt and pepper,
- Stir until all cabbage is coated.
- Add the crumbled bacon bits and cover.
- Cook over low heat until cabbage is tender.