1.Vanilla Ice Cream
- 3 cups half and half (a blend of equal parts whole milk and light cream)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 vanilla bean pods, seeds scraped, or 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Combine half and half and vanilla bean and bring to a simmer for at least 15 minutes in a pot. Strain half and half mixture and set aside.
- Whisk together egg yolks, sugar and salt. Whisk until they become smooth. Also, Whisk about 1 cup of the hot half and half into egg mixture until it also becomes smooth. Then whisk egg mixture back into the half and half mixture in the pot. Put it back on fire and let it cook to 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Once cooked to 170 degrees Fahrenheit, remove from heat and strain through a sieve into a bowl. In the same bowl, cool ice cream base to room temperature in an ice bath then pop base into a refrigerator to fully chill for at least an hour.
- Once chilled, process it in the ice cream maker. Transfer ice cream to a container and freeze until firm. Enjoy!!
2. Coffee-Chocolate Ice cream
- 1/2 cup granular sweetener for ice cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso
- 1/4 cup shaved semisweet chocolate baking bar
1. Whisk together cornstarch, salt and granular sweetener in a large saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk and half-and-half. Stir constantly as you cook over medium heat for about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Whisk the egg yolk until it is a little thick. Gradually whisk about 1 cup hot cream mixture into yolk. Add yolk mixture to remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly.
3. Pour mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding solids. Cool for an hour, stirring from time to time. Place plastic wrap directly on cream mixture; chill for about 8 to 24 hours.
4. Pour mixture into freezer container of an electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions; mix in a chocolate baking bar halfway through freezing. Let it stand at room temperature for about 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Others are also reading here homemade apple juice recipe